Kaltenmeier Playground is located in the neighborhood of Rosebank on the North Shore of Staten Island. It is bordered by the streets of Virginia Avenue, Anderson Street, and Clifton Avenue. These streets also divide Kaltenmeier Playground into three separate sections. The main lot, which is below Virginia Avenue, is a small parcel of land that is only about half an acre in size. This section of the park has been transformed from an empty lot into a local play area for the children of the community. The other two sections, which are both located above Virginia Avenue and separated by Anderson Street, are natural forests that have been left alone. Altogether, the three sections add up to about one acre of land.
Kaltenmeier Playground was named after Reinhard E. Kaltenmeier. Reinhard Kaltenmeier was a very prominent Democrat on Staten Island. During his life, he held careers as a politician, an insurance salesman, and the Sheriff of Richmond County. He started his political career in 1902 and became the captain of the second district's Democratic Party. While continuing his political career from the 1910s through the 1920s, Reinhard Kaltenmeier was also selling insurance. In fact, he had become one of the more prominent insurance salesmen on Staten Island.
From 1922 to about 1930, Reinhard Kaltenmeier was part of the Board of Aldermen. He first got elected to the Board of Aldermen in 1922, where he served as Alderman of the Sixty-fifth Aldermanic District. Kaltenmeier was re-elected five more times after that. By 1930, Reinhard Kaltenmeier became the Sheriff of Richmond County. He served as sheriff until his death in 1933.
Along with these careers, Kaltenmeier was also involved with a great number of clubs and societies on Staten Island. Some of these clubs and societies were the Richmond County Democratic Organization, the Richmond County Democratic Club, the Fourth Ward Democratic Club, the Staten Island Lodge of Elks, the Royal Arcanum, the Rosebank Social Club, and the Foresters of America.
Kaltenmeier Playground was previously known as Rosebank Park in 1925. It was owned by the State of New York at that time and the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation had obtained a permit to operate the park. The City of New York acquired this park from the State of New York in 1934. It wasn't until 1936, however, that the name of the park was changed from Rosebank Park to Kaltenmeier Playground by the Board of Aldermen. Two years later, in 1938, the park was transferred into the hands of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation and was re-opened in March after the construction of the playground.
The main section of Kaltenmeier Playground has just a few facilities in it. There is a play unit, swings, a basketball court, a water fountain, and benches. From 1995 to 1996, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation made two updates to the park. Firstly, they updated the play equipment in the park. Secondly, they added safety surfacing to under the play equipment. There are two entrances to the park: one on Virginia Avenue and the other on Clifton Avenue. If you enter the park at the Virginia Avenue entrance, you will be taken to the play unit and swings. The Clifton Avenue entrance, on the other hand, takes you to the basketball court.