Since the beginning of the twentieth century, Staten Island has beenknown for its patriotic residents. With the end oof the First World War, residents begged for memorials to be placed in their neighborhoods, or for sites to be dedicated in honor of the fallen Staten Island soldiers. These residents got exactly what they wanted and today, Staten Island is home to a great number of memorials and places dedicated in honor of those residents who served for our country.
In 1909, the City of New York acquired roughly half of an acre of land on the North Shore of Staten Island. After twenty-five years, the site was finally transferred over to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, who did not do much to the site for a number of years. Three short years after having acquired the park, it was dedicated and named Abraham Levy Memorial in 1937. Abraham Levy had been serving as a Seaman apprentice for the United States
In 1996, play equipment was installed in the park and its name was changed to Levy Playground. Four years later, more changes were made to the park. Today, the playground has basketball courts, a comfort station, a few play units, spray showers, and swings. Levy Playground is located at the northeastern intersection of Jewett Avenue and Castleton Avenue in the neighborhood of Port Richmond.Navy when the USSPresident Lincoln, on which he was aboard, sank on May 31, 1918, after having been attacked by German forces. Levy was the first Staten Island casualty of the First World War.