In the middle of the nineteenth century, a large parcel of land on Staten Island's East Shore was purchased by the president of the Staten Island Savings Bank, Louis Henry Meyer. Upon this land, Meyer built his estate, which he named Fox Hill Villa. Many nearby places were soon named after his estate. In fact, the surrounding community was named Fox Hills.
By the twentieth century, much of Fox Hills was made up of the Fox Hills Golf Course and the adjacent Fox Hills Base Hospital. Once these sites disappeared, the area began to be developed for residential use. In 1938, a small parcel of land there was acquired by the City of New York. This site soon came to be known as Fox Hill Playground.
In 1993, the park was transferred over to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. At that time, the name of the park was changed to Lopez Playground, in honor of Luis Reynaldo Lopez, a police officer who lived in Staten Island and worked in the area. In 1995, three plaques were posted on the base of a flagpole within the park which all honor Officer Lopez.
Four years after the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation originally acquired the site, they acquired an additional portion of land next to the park. Lopez Playground is located in what is now the Park Hill neighborhood of Staten Island, along Palma Drive. It is between Targee Street and Oder Avenue. Next to the flagpole are four spray showers, which are adjacent to play equipment. On the side closest to Palma Drive, you can find basketball courts. On the other side of the spray showers are benches and game tables.