In 1933, a little less than two acres of land were acquired by the New York City Board of Education, who was planning
on constructing a school on the site. Three years passed and nothing had been done, so the site was transferred to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. By 1939, a playground had opened on the site.
In 1940, the playground was dedicated to honor Michael J. Mahoney, a member of the United States Marine Corps who
was killed during the First World War. Before enlisting in the United States Marine Corps, Mahoney lived on Staten Island in the neighborhood of New Brighton. At the dedication, Mahoney's eldest brother presented a plaque which was cast in honor of the fallen soldier.
In 1961, the New York City Housing Authority obtained a parcel of land next to Mahoney Playground, which they planned on using for a nearby housing complex. On this playground, a comfort station and other facilities were installed. By 1966,
however, the site was surrendered by the New York City Housing Authority to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, who made it an addition to Mahoney Playground.
Mahoney Playground is located on the North Shore of Staten Island, in the neighborhood of New Brighton. It is just above Crescent Avenue, between Jersey Street and Beechwood Avenue. Within the park, you can find basketball courts, handball courts, playground equipment, and spray showers. These facilities are among tiers,gardens, and animal sculptures which beautify the park.