'Tis the season! The season we send the kids back to school, get ready for the weather change, and hope we will not see snow for a very long time! It is time to start saying goodbye to the summer and welcome in the fall season! While we still have until September 22nd to officially declare it fall, we can get our home ready for the changes now!
- If you have plans to repaint a room, paint it while it is still warm enough to leave windows open. Do the same for shampooing or replacing carpets.
- Check your home's heating system. This includes filters, pilot lights, and burners. Have the system serviced by a qualified professional if needed.
- Clean and vacuum dust from vents and baseboard heaters.
- Remove window air-conditioning units and store them. If they are not removable, cover them with plastic to protect them over the winter. (However, this step is weather permitting!)
- Tour the outside of your house to make sure that soil around the foundation is properly graded. Soil should slope four to six inches for a distance of three feet out from the foundation walls.
- Inspect storm windows for any signs of deterioration and makes necessary repairs.
- Keep an eye out for year-end close-out sales on the lawn and garden equipment! Now is the best time to make purchases for next summer!
Have a great month homeowner!