Points of Interest

Here you can find specific points of interest on Staten Island. Including commercial centers, cultural attractions, or other places that might just would not typically find. This could also incorporate unusual places, some that are a bit off the beaden path.

Found 138 blog entries about Points of Interest.

historic home on Carrol Pl. Staten IslandBetween the years of 1835 and 1987, dozens of buildings were constructed at the northern tip of Staten Island. Over the years, architectural styles changed and the buildings began to stand out due to their individuality. Having been well-kept over the years, a hearing was held by the Landmarks Preservation Commission to designate the buildings, as well as their boundaries, as a Historic District. On July 19, 1994, the historic district was established as the St. George/New Brighton Historic District.

Several of the buildings in the district had been demolished over the years, leaving some scattered vacant lots.  However, seventy-six of the St. George/New Brighton Historic District's original buildings are still intact. The designated buildings occupy

3,164 Views, 0 Comments

Home on Carrol Pl. Staten Island St. GeorgeThe latter half of the nineteenth century saw the popularization of Colonial Revival architecture, which lasted half-way into the next century.  In 1890, Edward A. Sargent constructed a Colonial Revival-style home, at 103 St. Marks Place, for broker Frederick L. Rodewald.  A few years later, in 1894, the home that he had constructed in the Gothic Revival-style at 83 St. Marks Place was extended and altered much, where it became a Colonial Revival-style home.  At the turn of the century, between 1905 and 1906, lumber merchant George W. Allen had four of these types of houses constructed.  Samuel R. Brick, Jr. built the first three, which were located at 29, 31, and 35 St. Marks Place.  The last was designed by Edward A. Sargent and was located at 27 St.

2,716 Views, 0 Comments

Home on WesterveltFrom 1880 until the turn of the century, the Shingle Style had become increasingly popular.  These houses were influenced by the English Colonial, which were common from the early seventeenth century up until the middle of the nineteenth century.  From 1886 until 1907, one dozen Shingle Style houses were constructed within the St. George/New Brighton Historic District. The first of these houses, built in the first couple of years for the wealthy banker, Anson Phelps Stokes, were located at 48, 52, and 56 St. Marks Place.  Three more houses were built for the same man in 1890 at 7-8, 9-10, and 11 Phelps Place. These houses were designed by architect Douglas Smyth.

Edward A. Sargent, the well-known architect of whom we spoke earlier, designed a few of

3,424 Views, 0 Comments

St. Marks Staten Island St. George Historic DistrictMany houses are solely vernacular in architectural style.  Four of these, which were built between the last half of the nineteenth century and the first quarter of the twentieth century, are located within the St. George/New Brighton Historic District.  The first home to be built in the District using local resources was erected between 1853 and 1874.  It is uncertain whether this home, which is located at 17 Carroll Place, was built for Henry P. Robertson, who owned the oldest house in the District, or James Wilkinson, who was part of Crabtree & Wilkinson silk dyeworks.

The next three Vernacular-style homes were built during the early twentieth-century.  In 1902, Norman Young built a home at 226 Hamilton Avenue for George Gregory.  It has not been

1,706 Views, 0 Comments

Sailor Snug Harbor, Staten Island SignIn 1756, the Marine Society of New York was formed. Captain Thomas Randall, a philanthropic seafarer became a member of the society, which served as a charitable organization for seamen. His prominence in the society and as a sea captain led to his son, Robert Richard Randall, getting involved in the Marine Society. In fact, he was so strongly involved that when he died in 1801, he requested in his will that after much of his money was divided and given to inheritors, the rest would be used to build a facility on his estate to be used "for the purpose of maintaining and supporting aged, decrepit and worn-out sailors."

In 1833, Randall's dream saw fruition, as Sailors' Snug Harbor opened for the purpose stated in his will. For years, the asylum

3,622 Views, 0 Comments

Sign at the entrace to the Staten Island MallIn 1935, 250 acres of land in the neighborhood of New Springville/Heatland Village were being converted into an airport by Ed McCormick.  By 1941, the airport opened as the Staten Island Airport beneath Richmond Hill Road, adjacent to a drive-in movie theater.  The drive-in movie theater remained while the airport closed in 1964.  By the next year, a building was constructed for an E.J. Korvette department store, completely changing the neighborhood from its rural setting of chicken farms.

After the department store chain went bankrupt in 1980, it closed down.  During the early part of the prior decade, however, another building was already under construction nearby.  The construction of this building and its accompanying parking lot was so large that

6,239 Views, 0 Comments

Seguine Mansion

In 1598, the Edict of Nantes was issued in France by King Henry IV, granting the Protestants, or Huguenots, freedom and civil rights. In 1685, this edict was revoked by King LouiHorse on Seguine Mansion Groundss XIV. At this time, he issued the Edict on Flontainbleau, which made Protestantism illegal. As a result, hundreds of thousands of Huguenots fled France to find a new residence. King Louis XIV was the monarch of New France, as well, which consisted of many of the mid-eastern states in North America, as well as much of Canada. Due to this, the Huguenots were banned from settlings there and instead settled in the Dutch New Netherland, which was encompassed by the western states of America.

In 1706, a census was taken of Staten Island's inhabitants. At this time,

26,708 Views, 0 Comments

Alice Austen House, Staten Island NYDuring the late seventeenth century and early eighteenth century, a single-room, half-timbered Dutch Colonial home was built at 2 Hylan Boulevard. From its construction up until 1775, many additions were made to the house. Between the years of 1725 and 1750, a second room was added to the house. During the years between 1750 and 1775, another addition was made to the house, giving it an L-shape.

On maps from the early 1800's, various structures were shown as being on the property. In 1844, John Haggerty Austen purchased the home. Many repairs and renovations were made to the house, including the demolition of the structures not attached to the house. The years between 1844 and 1878 saw the addition of another room, a porch, and a projecting bay

3,244 Views, 0 Comments