In the middle of the twentieth century, a school building was constructed in the neighborhood of West Brighton. On April 28, 1960, the school was named for Anning Smith Prall. Born on Staten Island, Prall served as president of the New York City Board of Education for three terms in 1919, 1920, and 1921. Anning Smith Prall also served as a member of the House of Representatives and president of the Federal Communications Commission in later years. Intermediate School 27 was named for him twenty-three years after his death.
Intermediate School 27 is located above the corner of Elizabeth Street and Clove Lake Place. Two parcels of land and Forest Avenue form its northern boundary. Shortly after the naming of the school, the parcel to the northwest of the school was assigned to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation and the New York City Board of Education by the current New York City Council. On April 5, 1965, the land was official acquired by the two agencies. By April 15, 1972, this parcel of land opened as Prall Playground.
The play area of Prall Playground is shaped like a quadrant, while the entire parcel of land is more of a triangle with one curved side, since the northern boundary of Forest Avenue is itself curved.Plants line the perimeter of the park, while benches are scattered within. The quadrant-shaped section of the park is used for both softball and basketball, along with handball. Prall Playground also has game tables, play equipment, and a comfort station.