Intermediate School 7 was first established in 1960 as Bernstein Intermediate School 7. The school was constructed in the shape of an "L", taking up about three quarters of a rectangular plot of land. Around that same time, the remaining quarter of land was acquired by the City of New York to be established as a park. The school opened to the public in 1965 at 1270 Huguenot Avenue with the park following it just two short years later.
The City of New York had assigned this park to both the New York City Board of Education and the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. Due to its location, it was named Huguenot Playground. The name of the park was changed, however, in 1997. Prescott Playground was the name it took that year, in honor of Christopher J. Prescott, the first New York City worker of the Emergency Medical Services to have a worked-related death. Prescott had been a former student of Bernstein Intermediate School 7, so it was fitting that the adjacent playground was named for him.
Prescott Playground and Intermediate School 7 are bounded by Hylan Boulevard to the north, Edith Avenue to the south, Irvington Street to the west, and Huguenot Avenue to the east. The playground is situated at the corner of Irvington Street and Edith Avenue. Prescott Playground was renovated in 1996 to make it safer for the children of the school and community who come to the park to play. The park includes basketball courts, play equipment, a spray shower, and swings. Throughout the park are many open areas surrounded by benches for people to relax. Just outside the fenced-in portion of the park, along Edith Avenue, there are a few chess tables.