The latter half of the nineteenth century saw the popularization of Colonial Revival architecture, which lasted half-way into the next century. In 1890, Edward A. Sargent constructed a Colonial Revival-style home, at 103 St. Marks Place, for broker Frederick L. Rodewald. A few years later, in 1894, the home that he had constructed in the Gothic Revival-style at 83 St. Marks Place was extended and altered much, where it became a Colonial Revival-style home. At the turn of the century, between 1905 and 1906, lumber merchant George W. Allen had four of these types of houses constructed. Samuel R. Brick, Jr. built the first three, which were located at 29, 31, and 35 St. Marks Place. The last was designed by Edward A. Sargent and was located at 27 St. Marks Place.
Several more Colonial Revival-style houses were built within the District during the first half of the twentieth century. John J. Hayes, himself, built a house for his family between 1906 and 1907 at 23 St. Marks Place. By 1909, two more houses were built; one at 253-255 Hamilton Avenue, and another for art supplies salesman Benjamin Flowerdew, at 263 Hamilton Avenue. In 1912, Emma C. Will had Robert Curry erect a house for her family at 135 St. Marks Place. The next Colonial Revival-style house was not built until over a decade later. This house was built for woolens manufacturer Walter Dickson, at 112 Carroll Place. A couple of years later, in 1926, Dr. Herbert A. Cochrane had the architectural firm of Gardner & Hoffman construct a house for himself at 2 St. Marks Place. Not only did he reside in the house, but he also worked out of it. The last house to be built in the district that is exclusively Colonial Revival in style is 106 Carroll Place, which was designed by Charles A. Dunker for paint manufacturer Francis T. Perry.
Romanesque architecture was very popular in Western Europe during the second century. From the middle of the nineteenth century until the end, a revival of the style had become quite popular in the United States. From 1878 until 1912, four of these buildings were constructed in the District. The first building to be constructed was at 30-32 Westervelt Avenue, for Joseph Wilks, who had operated a saloon at the intersection of Jersey Avenue and Richmond Terrace. The next home to be built was at 82 Westervelt Avenue, for Anton Schock, the owner of a florist and greenhouse. The last two buildings to be constructed were for St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church. The first building was the church itself, at 49 St. Marks Place. The second was the church's rectory, at 53 St. Marks Place. They were constructed by Harding & Gooch and George H. Streeton, respectively.
During the time that Romanesque Revival architecture was popular, the Queen Anne Victorian style of architecture was becoming quite customary in America, as well. The St. George/New Brighton Historic District is home to six buildings that were constructed in this style. The first of these houses to be constructed was in 1884, at 106 Westervelt Ave. It was erected for James Walker, who owned a dry goods business in Manhattan. The next set of similar houses were built between 1887 and 1891 at 1-5 St. Marks Place. This home was designed by Edward A. Sargent for Mary and Dr. Theodore Walser, who had had the Second Empire houses constructed for themselves.
Mary A. Dobson, the wife of a book salesman, had a Queen Anne-style house constructed between 1888 and 1890 at 123 St. Marks Place. The following year, Edward A. Sargent designed the house which currently sits at 93 St. Marks Place, for Alexander Driscoll, a school teacher. By 1898, another house was erected at 84 Westervelt Avenue for Charlotte and Oscar Dalberg, a paint merchant whose store was located on Jersey Street. In 1908, Margaret Malloy had Daniel H. Calahane design a house for her, which would be built at 228 Hamilton Ave.