Staten Island History

A look back at history across Staten Island and New York City. Get fast facts about Staten Island, and the events that shaped what the borough is today.

Found 34 blog entries about Staten Island History.

Trinity Lutheran Church, Stapleton Staten Island  About ten years after Otto Loeffler's Neo-Colonial-style houses began to be built, another prominent Neo-Colonial architect, Henry G. Otto, had houses of his designs built. In 1910, the first of his houses, 151 Cebra Avenue, was constructed for Ernest Lindemann, a realtor and lawyer. That same year, 169 Cebra Avenue, a house of Neo-Colonial and Arts & Crafts-style architecture was built for a Mrs. C. Nordenholt. The following year, 155 Cebra Avenue was constructed for attorney Arnold J.B. Wedemeyer, who had served as a State Assemblyman for a few years and a municipal judge for a few decades. In 1919, the next of Otto's designed was constructed at 45 Pommer Avenue for Captain Ned Alexander Port. In 1921, 35 Marion Avenue and 37 Marion Avenue, two

4,717 Views, 0 Comments

Histoic Deginated home on St. Paul's Ave., Staten IslandIn 1887, a handful of houses were constructed in the Queen Anne architectural style. These were 18 Marion Avenue, which was built for George P. Savacool and sold the following year to Henry M. Cattermole, a ferry captain who had operated the ferry between Manhattan and Staten Island at the age of twenty; 387 St. Paul's Avenue, which was designed by Hugo Kafka, Sr, of the firm Kafka & Lindenmeyr, for brewery owner George Bechtel, who had it built for his daughter Anna and her husband Leonard Weiderer; 403 St. Paul's Avenue, which was built for merchant John C. Siemer; and 413 St. Paul's Avenue, another home built by Siemer, possibly for his daughter Margaretha.

A few of the Queen Anne houses consisted of Shingle-style elements. These included 239 St.

6,578 Views, 0 Comments

Landmark Home in Staten Island Historic DistrictBetween 1845 and 1860, Italianate architecture became very popular on Staten Island. During this time, a sextet of altered Italianate houses was built in, what is now the Stapleton Heights Historic District. These are 417 St. Paul's Avenue, which was originally located elsewhere, but moved by John Siemer during the late 1880's; 210-212 St. Paul's Avenue, which has been built with Second Empire modifications for Israel Denyse; 364 St. Paul's Avenue, which had been sold by Albert Ward to maritime pilot John Martino; 168 Cebra Avenue, which had been sold to broker James Wood, also by Albert Ward; 356 St. Paul's Avenue, the home of Sandy Hook pilot Thomas H. Metcalfe, who had also purchased his land from Albert Ward; and 352 St. Paul's Avenue, home of

1,626 Views, 0 Comments

Stapleton Heights Historic District SignIn March of 2004, a public hearing was held by the Landmarks Preservation Commission in which twenty-one speakers testified in favor of making an area of Staten Island a Historic District. Their area of choice was located in Stapleton Heights, along a section of St. Paul's Avenue and portions of neighboring streets. These streets include Cebra Avenue, Dyson Street, Marion Avenue, Occident Avenue, Pommer Avenue, Taxter Place, and Trossach Road. In August of that same year, they addressed their proposal to the City Council. One month later, it was accepted.

In 1807, Daniel D. Tompkins became the Governor of the State of New York. During his time as governor, Tompkins purchased over 600 acres of land on Staten Island. In 1816, the village of

3,084 Views, 0 Comments