Staten Island Parks

Looking to get better insight on what Staten Island parks have to offer? Here you will find information on what types of parks exist on Staten Island as well as some background on the history of each park. Additionally, we will highlight some of the amenities and events each has to offer. Staten Island is known as the "Borough of Parks" as it features the highest concentration of New York City Parkland of the five boroughs that make up New York City. The information on local parks is part of RealEstateSINY.com's ongoing commitment to give the most comprehensive  information about Staten Island and its amazing features.

.conferance_house_park_realestatesiny_400Photo© Conferance House Park, Tottenville Staten Island

Found 127 blog entries about Staten Island Parks.

Sailor Snug Harbor, Staten Island SignIn 1756, the Marine Society of New York was formed. Captain Thomas Randall, a philanthropic seafarer became a member of the society, which served as a charitable organization for seamen. His prominence in the society and as a sea captain led to his son, Robert Richard Randall, getting involved in the Marine Society. In fact, he was so strongly involved that when he died in 1801, he requested in his will that after much of his money was divided and given to inheritors, the rest would be used to build a facility on his estate to be used "for the purpose of maintaining and supporting aged, decrepit and worn-out sailors."

In 1833, Randall's dream saw fruition, as Sailors' Snug Harbor opened for the purpose stated in his will. For years, the asylum

3,642 Views, 0 Comments

Seguine Mansion

In 1598, the Edict of Nantes was issued in France by King Henry IV, granting the Protestants, or Huguenots, freedom and civil rights. In 1685, this edict was revoked by King LouiHorse on Seguine Mansion Groundss XIV. At this time, he issued the Edict on Flontainbleau, which made Protestantism illegal. As a result, hundreds of thousands of Huguenots fled France to find a new residence. King Louis XIV was the monarch of New France, as well, which consisted of many of the mid-eastern states in North America, as well as much of Canada. Due to this, the Huguenots were banned from settlings there and instead settled in the Dutch New Netherland, which was encompassed by the western states of America.

In 1706, a census was taken of Staten Island's inhabitants. At this time,

26,731 Views, 0 Comments

Alice Austen House, Staten Island NYDuring the late seventeenth century and early eighteenth century, a single-room, half-timbered Dutch Colonial home was built at 2 Hylan Boulevard. From its construction up until 1775, many additions were made to the house. Between the years of 1725 and 1750, a second room was added to the house. During the years between 1750 and 1775, another addition was made to the house, giving it an L-shape.

On maps from the early 1800's, various structures were shown as being on the property. In 1844, John Haggerty Austen purchased the home. Many repairs and renovations were made to the house, including the demolition of the structures not attached to the house. The years between 1844 and 1878 saw the addition of another room, a porch, and a projecting bay

3,269 Views, 0 Comments

In 1896, Midland Beach opened to the public. At the time, a trolley would leave Richmond Road to take you to the beach.  People from Manhattan and New Jersey would often come to the beach in boats which ran directly from said places.  While the main attractions were sunbathing and swimming, Midland Beach had many other features which resulted in it being a very popular summer resort.  Hotels populated most of the area, where people could enjoy Midland Beach's casino, live concerts, vaudeville acts, free movies and connected with the South Beach boardwalk and piers. During the 1920's, many fires broke out, destroying what was once a wonderful summer resort.  In 1935, the two-and-a-half-mile Franklin Delano Roosevelt Boardwalk was built in place of the

4,406 Views, 0 Comments

The word "clove" is an Anglicization of the Dutch word "kloven", which translates to "cleft" in English.  Clove Lakes Park was named for the valley and brook which were formed in what is now known as the neighborhood Sunnyside, between Emerson Hill and Grymes Hill.  During the late 1600's and mid-1800's, many dams were built along the brook, forming the various bodies of water within the park. (Photo below © the bridge at Clove Lake)

 Bridge at Clove Lake Park, Staten Island

On September 1, 1923, the city of New York acquired the now nearly 200-acre area of Clove Lakes Park, which at the time had been occupied by four old barns.  The construction of the park, which is surrounded mainly by Slosson Avenue, Victory Boulevard, and Clove Road, began in the 1930's with the addition of what is

6,084 Views, 0 Comments

Thousands of years ago, Staten Island was inhabited by Native Americans. The Raritan Indians settled in the southern part of Staten Island, which resulted in the nearby Raritan Bay being named after them. Evidence of their stay is found at Burial Ridge, the largest pre-European burial ground in New York City. Burial Ridge is located on a bluff which overlooks Raritan Bay.

Conferance House, Tottenville, Staten Island

In 1676, James, Duke of York, granted Christopher Billopp, a captain of the Royal Navy, 932 acres of land on Staten Island. Here, he erected a two-story fieldstone house, which he named Bentley Manor, after a ship he had commanded. Bentley Manor was later inherited by Christopher Billopp's great-grandson, who bears the same name. During the Revolutionary War, great-grandson

4,229 Views, 0 Comments

High Rock Park is rich in history, as well as wildlife.  The park is located in the town of Egbertville or more commonly known as New Dorp Heights, on Nevada Avenue.  It is separated from Blood Root Valley on the west by Manor Road and the Moravian Cemetery to the east.  During the 1800's, the land was owned by various families.  In the 1930's, it was owned by the Boy Scouts Council.

In 1951, the land was sold to the Girl Scouts Council of Greater New York.  At this time, plans for a bridge from Staten Island to Brooklyn were underway.  With the completion of the bridge in 1964, which is now referred to as the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, the population of Staten Island was expanding.  As a result, many new houses were being built.  Plans were made to

1,604 Views, 0 Comments