Staten Island Parks

Looking to get better insight on what Staten Island parks have to offer? Here you will find information on what types of parks exist on Staten Island as well as some background on the history of each park. Additionally, we will highlight some of the amenities and events each has to offer. Staten Island is known as the "Borough of Parks" as it features the highest concentration of New York City Parkland of the five boroughs that make up New York City. The information on local parks is part of RealEstateSINY.com's ongoing commitment to give the most comprehensive  information about Staten Island and its amazing features.

.conferance_house_park_realestatesiny_400Photo© Conferance House Park, Tottenville Staten Island

Found 127 blog entries about Staten Island Parks.

gnpc9_400Throughout the nineteenth century, farming was one of the most significant industries on Staten Island.  By the turn of the twentieth century, the number of farms on the Island began to greatly diminish.  Nonetheless, German immigrant Henry William Dietrich Mohlenhoff decided to relocate from his farmland in Queens to Staten Island, where he purchased thirty-two acres of land.  On this land, he and his wife established a farm. The couple had one dozen children, all of whom worked on the farm with their parents.  Even as the sons married, they would erect their own homes on the property so that they could still work on the farm. 

In 1928, Staten Island farmers began to grow flowers in greenhouses to ease the air pollution.  The Mohlenhoff farm began to

9,462 Views, 0 Comments

Since the beginning of the twentieth century, Staten Island has been

Port Richmond Levy Park, Staten Islandknown for its patriotic residents.  With the end oof the First World War, residents begged for memorials to be placed in their neighborhoods, or for sites to be dedicated in honor of the fallen Staten Island soldiers.  These residents got exactly what they wanted and today, Staten Island is home to a great number of memorials and places dedicated in honor of those residents who served for our country.


In 1909, the City of New York acquired roughly half of an acre of land on the North Shore of Staten Island.  After twenty-five years, the site was finally transferred over to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, who did not do much to the site for a number of years. 

1,820 Views, 0 Comments

P.S. 8 Great Kills ParkIn 1892, a school building was erected in Staten Island's neighborhood of Great Kills.  The building, which housed students of Public School 8, was given many additions at the turn of the twentieth century and it was designated as the Great Kills School in 1916.  The following year, however, it was replaced by an entirely new school building.

Public School 8 is located at 112 Lindenwood Road.  Its boundaries include School Street to the northwest, Lindenwood Road to the northeast, and Seely Lane to the southwest.  For quite some time, the southeastern boundary for Public School 8 was an empty lot.  That changed by the end of the century when the city developed a playground on the empty lot.  The name of the school was also changed at that time from the

2,534 Views, 0 Comments

Westwood Park, Willowbrook Staten Island
The Staten Island Expressway is often used as the dividing line between Staten Island's North Shore and Mid-Island sections.  The land for this expressway was acquired by the City of New York during the middle of the twentieth century.  After its completion, it was found that there was much unused land that had been obtained for the construction of the expressway. As a result, many parcels of land were transferred over to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, who developed many parks using the vacant land.

In 1958, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation had obtained almost seven acres of this land in the neighborhood of Willowbrook, below the completed Staten Island Expressway.  This site, as well as land surrounding it,

1,433 Views, 0 Comments

At the turn of the twenty-first century, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation acquired a parcel of land on the Great Kills shoreline made up of roughly twenty square feet.  The land had been filled with debris and Seaside Nature Park in Great Kills, SINYgarbage at the time.  In an effort to clean up the Great Kills shoreline, a non-profit organization known as the Turnaround Friends was formed in 1994.  The Turnaround Friends teamed up with the New York City Departments of Environmental Protection, Parks and Recreation, and Sanitation to perform a clean-up effort.  The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation soon expanded the site to five acres and created Seaside Wildlife Nature Park, a waterfront park overlooking the Great Kills Harbor.

Over the years, much has been

4,064 Views, 0 Comments

In the second half of the nineteenth century, Moritz Glauber immigrated to the United States from Czechoslovakia.  By Toad Hall Playgroundthe early part of the twentieth century, he had established a 35-acre estate near the center of Staten Island.Glauber passed away in 1944 and the estate soon came into the hands of the City of New York.  By the end of the decade, almost half of the estate was assigned to the New York City Housing Authority, who planned to use the land for a public housing project.  This project, which consisted of 502 apartments, was completed in 1950 as the Todt Hill Houses.

While the name of the Todt Hill Houses complex refers to Staten Island's neighborhood of Todt Hill, the area is commonly associated with the community of Manor Heights.  The housing

2,392 Views, 0 Comments

Intermediate School 7 was first established in 1960 as Bernstein Intermediate School 7.  The school was constructed in the shape of an "L", taking up about three quarters of a rectangular plot of land.  Around that same time, the Prescott Playground, Staten Islandremaining quarter of land was acquired by the City of New York to be established as a park.  The school opened to the public in 1965 at 1270 Huguenot Avenue with the park following it just two short years later.

The City of New York had assigned this park to both the New York City Board of Education and the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.  Due to its location, it was named Huguenot Playground.  The name of the park was changed, however, in 1997.  Prescott Playground was the name it took that year, in honor of

1,974 Views, 0 Comments

Father Macris Park, Staten IslandDuring the middle of the twentieth century, the City of New York began acquiring land for the current Staten Island Expressway.  In 1958, a parcel of a little over thirteen acres of land was acquired in the neighborhood of Bulls Head.  Grass was planted on the parcel, but nothing else was done to the site for decades.  It is bounded to the north by the Staten Island Expressway, to the south by Lamberts Lane, to the west by Fahy Ave., and to the east by a ramp connecting to the Staten Island Expressway.

In 1993, the park was named for the recently deceased Greek Orthodox priest, Revered Spyridon Macris, who had been the pastor of Holy Trinity – St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church.  The park was dedicated as Father Macris Park in May of the following

1,766 Views, 0 Comments

In 2011, a park opened in the neighborhood of Annadale.  For years, the land taken up by the park, as well as surrounding land, had been undeveloped.  By the end of the 1960s, after the housing boom, one house was built on Drumgoole Tot Lot, in Staten Islandthe property of the current park.  This house was demolished just a few years later, however.  Up until 2010, the land was left to its own devices and a gate protected the wildlife within.

In the middle of February of 2010, construction began on the parcel of land.  Construction was completed in April of 2011.  By the end of July of 2011, the park opened as Drumgoole Tot Lot.  Drumgoole Tot Lot is located to the west of the Korean War Veterans Parkway.  It is bounded to the north by Grantwood Avenue, to the south by Carlton Boulevard,

2,422 Views, 0 Comments

If you love nature, you're certain to love Staten Island, as it is filled with many parks and nature preserves.  On the southwestern shore of Staten Island, in the neighborhood of Charleston, you will find the 260-acre Clay Pit Ponds Clay Pitt Pond, Staten IslandState Park Preserve.  This park was the first and only state park preserve to be established in New York City, having been set up in 1976.  In 1980, Clay Pit Ponds State Park Preserve opened to the public.  It is under the jurisdiction of the State of New York Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation.

Prior to its use as a park, the land taken up by Clay Pit Ponds State Park Preserve was mined for clay, hence the park's name.Beginning in the middle of the nineteenth century, brick manufacturer Balthasar

2,901 Views, 0 Comments