Staten Island Parks

Looking to get better insight on what Staten Island parks have to offer? Here you will find information on what types of parks exist on Staten Island as well as some background on the history of each park. Additionally, we will highlight some of the amenities and events each has to offer. Staten Island is known as the "Borough of Parks" as it features the highest concentration of New York City Parkland of the five boroughs that make up New York City. The information on local parks is part of RealEstateSINY.com's ongoing commitment to give the most comprehensive  information about Staten Island and its amazing features.

.conferance_house_park_realestatesiny_400Photo© Conferance House Park, Tottenville Staten Island

Found 127 blog entries about Staten Island Parks.

In 1975, the City of New York purchased two parcels of land in Staten Island's Rosebank neighborhood for use as a public park.  The similarity shared by the two parcels was that they both contained a house of historical significance.  The two differed, though, as the houses were unrelated and had their own special significances in 
Alice Austen Park, Rosebank SI NYStaten Island's past.  Nonetheless, the two were included in what soon became Alice Austen Park, with the addresses of the homes being 2 Hylan Boulevard and 30 Hylan Boulevard.

The home at 2 Hylan Boulevard was significant for two reasons.  The first reason was because of when the home was constructed, as well as the architectural styles used.  It was originally a one-room Dutch Colonial home constructed at the turn of the

1,193 Views, 0 Comments

Prall Playground, Staten IslanndIn the middle of the twentieth century, a school building was constructed in the neighborhood of West Brighton.  On April 28, 1960, the school was named for Anning Smith Prall.  Born on Staten Island, Prall served as president of the New York City Board of Education for three terms in 1919, 1920, and 1921.  Anning Smith Prall also served as a member of the House of Representatives and president of the Federal Communications Commission in later years.  Intermediate School 27 was named for him twenty-three years after his death.

Intermediate School 27 is located above the corner of Elizabeth Street and Clove Lake Place.  Two parcels of land and Forest Avenue form its northern boundary.  Shortly after the naming of the school, the parcel to the northwest

926 Views, 0 Comments

Naples Playground, Staten IslandIn 1931, a school was constructed in the neighborhood of Grasmere at the corner of Targee Street and Naples Street. In 1953 and 1955, the City of New York acquired two plots of land to the east of the school, with Stanwich Street being their eastern boundary. Since the school first opened, these two parcels of land had been used as a play area for local residents, who named it as Concord Playground. Once the two parcels were acquired by the city, a playground was constructed.  It opened in 1965 under the jurisdiction of both the New York City Board of Education and the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. At the time of its opening, it became known as P.S. 48 Playground, for the adjacent school.

When it first opened, P.S. 48 Playground had

1,264 Views, 0 Comments

If you're interested in salt marshes, Staten Island's West Shore is the place to go.  Most of the West Shore has been undeveloped, leaving much marshland.  In the neighborhoods of Travis and Chelsea, you can find what was once Meredith Woods, Staten Island Parkknown as the Neck Creek Marsh, named after the creek that runs through it.

During the twentieth century, the name of the site was changed to Meredith Park, after a property owner in Chelsea, William T. Meredith.  In 1998, New York City Department of Parks and Recreation Commission Henry J. Stern changed the name of the park yet again, to Meredith Woods.  Though Commissioner Stern is well-known for his appropriate renaming of parks, Meredith Woods is actually made up mostly of marshland.

Meredith Woods is made up of three

1,112 Views, 0 Comments

Pleasant Plains Plaza, Staten IslandAfter the First World War, many World War One memorials began to be placed all over New York City to commemorate those who fought in the war.  In the early 1920s, residents of the southern portion of Staten Island-then known as the Fifth Ward-raised money to have a sculpture built for their community.  George Thomas Brewster, a resident of Tottenville, sculpted an $8,500 statue based on the Louvre's Winged Victory of Samothrace.

The monument Brewster created showed a woman standing atop a globe, holding above her head a sword and the branch of a palm tree, which was considered a symbol of victory before the Common Era.  Sitting in front of the woman was an eagle with its wings spread.  On each side of the quadrilateral pedestal were four plaques.  The

1,504 Views, 1 Comment

The South Shore of Staten Island is well-known for having acres upon acres of wetlands.  With all of the housing developments that had taken place in the twentieth century, these wetland areas began to disappear.  In 1994, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation created a Natural Resources Damages Program known as the Jamaica Bay Damages Account.  This program was created in an attempt to restore, replace, or acquire wetland areas that had been affected "as a result of a release of hazardous substances from five landfills within New York City",
Brookfield Landfill being the one in Staten Island.  In the five boroughs, there were eighty-two project proposals proposed for the program.

Of the eighty-two projects proposed, eight had

1,397 Views, 0 Comments

In the late nineteenth century, a school building was constructed in the current neighborhood of New Brighton.  The school, Public School 17, underwent many renovations and additions while it stood.  Almost one century after the Skyline Parkschool was initially built, a schoolyard and tot lot were constructed next to the building, above Arnold Street and to the east of Clyde Place.  Not long after the construction of the schoolyard and tot lot, a fire destroyed the school building and it was replaced by Public School 31, which was constructed further northeast in the neighborhood.  Although the school was no longer in use, maintenance of the tot lot was taken up by the current Cottages Hill Tenant Association, a community group.

The New York City Department of

1,146 Views, 0 Comments

sc1_400The First World War, as you may know, drafted many Americans into the war. One of these men was Frederick Staats, a Staten Island resident who worked for Staten Island Rapid Transit.  After having entered the war, Staats was killed in 1918, at the age of twenty-three. Ten years later, the New York City Board of Aldermen, now the New York City Council, decided to name a parcel of land after him. It was named Frederick Staats Circle, due to the shape of the land.

During the 1970s, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation had to surrender the property to the New York City Department of Transportation, who was working on a construction project there.  While working on traffic improvements, the New York City Department of Transportation had to

834 Views, 0 Comments

In 1895, a school building was erected in the neighborhood of Stapleton at the corner of Broad Street and what is now Wright Street.  This school, Public School 14, was later moved to 100 Tompkins Avenue-not too far from the original Stapleton Playground, Staten Islandsite.  Shortly after the school was moved, in 1947, the City of New York decided that they wanted to create a playground for Public School 14.  By 1951, P.S. 14 Playground opened under the jurisdiction of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation and the New York City Board of Education.

When P.S. 14 Playground first opened, it was divided into three sections.  The first section had a comfort station, a rack for bicycles, a sand pit, seesaws, slides, swings, and a wading pool.  The second section housed

1,576 Views, 0 Comments

Long before any settlements were established on Staten Island, explorers would visit the island to obtain fresh water from a spring on Staten Island's northeastern shore.  Once people began to settle on Staten Island, this well-known fact led to the naming of a settlement here as Watering Place.  Eventually, the settlement turned into a neighborhood, which came to be known as Tompkinsville.  It was named after a nineteenth-century governor of the State of New York, Daniel D. Tompkins.

In 1916, a seven-foot monument was sculpted by Allen G. Newman and given to the City of New York.  The monument, known as The Hiker, was constructed to honor the soldiers who fought during the Spanish-American War.  For some time, the monument stood in front of Staten

759 Views, 0 Comments