Tagged : 10301

Found 352 blog entries tagged as "10301".

In 1904, a public school was erected on Pleasant Avenue in the area then known as Bogardus Corners-today's Rossville. On June 28, 1939, the two-classroom school, which was known as P.S. 31, was given over to the New York Citydavis_park_final_400 Board of Estimate. However, by August 25 of that same year, the New York City Board of Education reclaimed the site so that it could be used to store furniture. Being too small to store furniture while still operating as a school, the school closed down.  It wasn't until the middle of the twentieth century that a new building was constructed for P.S. 31. This building, however, was located quite far from the original site. Today, it is located at the northern tip of Staten Island, in the neighborhood of St. George.

On January 22,

2,088 Views, 0 Comments

From the beginning of the American Civil War, Major General Richard Delafield was in charge of the defenses at New York Harbor. By 1864, he became the Chief of Engineers of the United States Army, a title he held until his walker_park3_400retirement in 1866.  At the time of his retirement, he resided at his estate on Bard Avenue, which was located in northeastern West Brighton, a community known as Livingston. Major General Richard Delafield passed away on November 5, 1873.

In 1872, one year prior to Major General Richard Delafield's passing, the Staten Island Cricket and Baseball Club was formed. The club had originally made their home at Camp Washington, which was a part of the current St. George neighborhood. In 1874, two years after having been establishing, the

2,541 Views, 0 Comments

On January 1, 1898, the City of Greater New York was created. New York City consisted of Bronx County, Kings tappen_park_1_400County, New York County, Queens County, and Richmond County. At the time, there were just three public parks located in Richmond County, or Staten Island. These were Port Richmond Park, Washington Square Park, and Westerleigh Park. During the late eighteenth century, Staten Island consisted of four towns: Castleton, Northfield, Southfield, and Westfield.  By the middle of the nineteenth century, portions of both Castleton and Southfield were merged to create Middletown.  Throughout the years, these towns were comprised of smaller villages.  At first, the village known as Stapleton was located in the town of Southfield.  By the time Middletown was

2,236 Views, 0 Comments

October of 1929 played a very significant role in shaping the future for America. Many Americans are quite familiar with what happened at this time-even if they have a hard time remembering dates. During the end of the month, lyons_pool_staten islandthe stock market crashed. This brought upon the well-known Great Depression, which lasted through the 1930s.

By 1935, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt created the Works Progress Administration, which provided several million Americans with paying jobs. One of these jobs was the installation of eleven outdoor swimming pools in the City of New York. One of these pools was constructed on the waterfront between 1934 and 1936 in Staten Island's neighborhood of Tompkinsville. Once construction on the 2.56-acre site was completed,

2,757 Views, 0 Comments

During the early part of the twentieth century, Louis A. Dreyfus founded the L.A. Dreyfus Company in the neighbhero_1_400orhood of Clifton.  This company was based off of a discovery of his in 1909, in which he was able to manufacture a chewing gum base.  After four years of steady growth, the L.A. Dreyfus Company had gotten so popular that the demand outweighed the supply by a great deal.  With not enough room to swing a cat, Dreyfus had to relocate his company to New Jersey.The Location of Hero Park puts it between Grymes Hill, Silver Lake, and Ward Hill.

In 1914, around the time of the L.A. Dreyfus Company's heightened popularity on Staten Island, the First World War had begun.  The United States had tried their best to stay neutral during the war.  Once

1,717 Views, 0 Comments

When most people in the United States hear the name "Deere", they think of John Deere; and rightly so, as he is arguably the most famous of his family in the country.  For those of you who are only aware of his name's current Deere Park Sign Staten Islanduse as a brand name, John Deere was a blacksmith during the nineteenth century.  From Rutland, Vermont, Deere moved to Grand Detour, Illinois in 1836, at the age of thirty-two.  The following year, in 1837, John Deere opened a shop which dealt with the production of small tools.  That same year, he invented the first successful cast-steel plow.

John Deere would often have people come in to his shop to purchase a plow.  It would take some time for them to receive it, though, as he would have to construct it first.  Deere soon

2,344 Views, 0 Comments

Allison Pond Park is a nine-acre piece of land that was named in honor of George William Allison. The park encompasses Allison Pond, as well as a brook that runs throughout the park. Allison Pond Park is in the neighborhood of Randall Manor and is bordered by Prospect Avenue, North Randall Avenue, and Brentwood Avenue.  The New York CWinter on Allison Pond, Randall Manority Department of Parks and Recreation acquired this land in 1943, after having been transferred from the City of New York. The park is locateded in the Randall Manor neighborhood on Staten Island's North Shore.

 

Allison Pond Park was originally part of Sailors' Snug Harbor. Sailors' Snug Harbor was formed through Captain Robert Richard Randall's will in 1801. In his will, Robert distributed his estate to go to members

2,864 Views, 0 Comments

Barrett Triangle is a small triangular island bordered by Richmond Terrace, Bay Street, and Borough Place in the St. George neighborhood. It is home to the Major Clarence T. Barrett Memorial, along with some benches and a drinking fountain, which is no longer usable due to the relocation of the memorial.

 The Barrett family was one of the most prominent families on Staten Island. Major Barrett studied landscape architecture until the Civil War began when he enlisted for voluntary military duty. He worked his way up the ranks and became Major after the Union siege of Mobile, Alabama. He was also involved in the battle at Richmond, Virginia, which marked the end of the War. After the War, he returned to Staten Island to continue his work in landscape

1,796 Views, 0 Comments

Staten Island was very popular during the nineteenth century for two reasons: its arable land and its summer resorts. People would often swim and fish in the Island's various bodies of water. During the winter, residents would harvest ice from these ponds and lakes. One of the most popular bodies of water was Fresh Pond. This pond was often used for the above recreational activities, as well as for boating and ice skating. By 1850, the names "Fresh Pond" and "Silver Lake" were interchangeably used when referring to the lake. By 1860, locals finally began to refer to the park as solely "Silver Lake".


At the turn of the century, the population of Staten Island began to grow, and more houses were beginning to be built in place of the hotels that

1,702 Views, 0 Comments

On 6/22/2005, 668 Castleton Avenue was publicly recorded as transferred without consideration for money. This residence is a office building that was built in 1955 with a living space of 1316 square feet on 4848 square feet of land. It is located in the neighborhood of West New Brighton, Staten Island, 10301 on block 133 and lot 43.

Source: New York City Department of Finance home sale data. Property tax assessments in New York City are determined by estimated home values based on reported comparable area home and real estate sales.

If you have questions regarding this house or property, or you need to get a current home value market analysis, you can contact our Staten Island industry leading Realtors at (718) 966-9669.

Neighboring houses and brief

479 Views, 0 Comments