Tagged : 10305

Found 937 blog entries tagged as "10305".

With the opening of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in 1964, many residents of Brooklyn and other nearby places lcpp11_400began to move to Staten Island.  With the increase of Staten Island's population and housing, a decrease occurred in Staten Island's undeveloped areas and many of the natural habitats found in the borough began to disappear.  Many of Staten Island's current parks would today be plots of land taken up by houses and buildings if it were not for the residents of Staten Island who did not want to see the beautiful natural habitats destroyed.  If you look into the past of Staten Island's parks, you will hear many stories about how members of the communities worked together to preserve these places.  One such story is that of Last Chance Pond Park, which

2,395 Views, 0 Comments

In 1975, the City of New York purchased two parcels of land in Staten Island's Rosebank neighborhood for use as a public park.  The similarity shared by the two parcels was that they both contained a house of historical significance.  The two differed, though, as the houses were unrelated and had their own special significances in 
Alice Austen Park, Rosebank SI NYStaten Island's past.  Nonetheless, the two were included in what soon became Alice Austen Park, with the addresses of the homes being 2 Hylan Boulevard and 30 Hylan Boulevard.

The home at 2 Hylan Boulevard was significant for two reasons.  The first reason was because of when the home was constructed, as well as the architectural styles used.  It was originally a one-room Dutch Colonial home constructed at the turn of the

1,136 Views, 0 Comments

sc1_400The First World War, as you may know, drafted many Americans into the war. One of these men was Frederick Staats, a Staten Island resident who worked for Staten Island Rapid Transit.  After having entered the war, Staats was killed in 1918, at the age of twenty-three. Ten years later, the New York City Board of Aldermen, now the New York City Council, decided to name a parcel of land after him. It was named Frederick Staats Circle, due to the shape of the land.

During the 1970s, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation had to surrender the property to the New York City Department of Transportation, who was working on a construction project there.  While working on traffic improvements, the New York City Department of Transportation had to

777 Views, 0 Comments

To the west of Father Capodanno Boulevard and located right next to Ocean Breeze Park, there is a small wetland that south_beach_wetlands_400is about 5 acres in size called South Beach Wetlands. This wetland became a part of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in December of 1999 and was named after the neighborhood in which it is located, South Beach.

Although this may not be a regular park that you would take your children to, it is still an important part of Staten Island. The South Beach Wetlands is one of the many parks on Staten Island that is more of a nature preserve, even though it may not be classified as one of the Forever Wild Nature Preserves. This park has been left to its own devices and is made up of marshy areas--as well as forest and

2,198 Views, 0 Comments

Ocean Breeze ParkOn the eastern shore of Staten Island's Mid-Island section, you can find Ocean Breeze Park. This park is right across the street from the Franklin D. Roosevelt Boardwalk and behind Staten Island University Hospital North and the South Beach Psychiatric Center. Ocean Breeze Park is an approximately 110-acre nature preserve that has been undergoing some changes.

Before the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation took over this land to make it a park, the land was a part of Staten Island University Hospital. Prior to becoming a park and as a park today, the land is filled with sand dunes, wetlands, shrub forests, and grassland areas. With Ocean Breeze Park containing all of these natural habitats, the New York City Department of Parks and

3,453 Views, 0 Comments

Old Town Playground is a small parcel of land, which is roughly two and a half acres inpark_1_400each Houses complex, which was built across the street from this site. Just a few years later, the Board of Estimate transferred the property to be operated by both the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation and the Board of Education. This was due to the fact that Old Town Playground is located next to Public School 46.

Old Town Playground received its name from the first settlement that was set up on Staten Island. This park was in the confines of this settlement when it was first established. Since the original settlement was split up into a few neighborhoods, today the park sits in the neighborhood of South Beach.

Old Town Playground houses more than

2,704 Views, 0 Comments

In 1906, Happlyland Amusement Park opened in South Beach, on the East Shore of Staten Island. The amusement park was very popular in its day, attracting residents from nearby boroughs as well as Staten Island inhabitants. There were sb_park_2_400concession stands, a carousel, Vaudeville performance, a pool, and more. There were also small hotels which lined the beach for vacationers. During the first third of the 20th century, fires began to destroy what had developed into a summer resort. While Happyland was rebuilt each time, it finally saw its end in the early 1930's, when the rebuilding of the park proved to be financially futile.

With the closing of Happyland, the construction of the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Boardwalk began, replacing the decrepit

673 Views, 0 Comments

De Matti Playground is a park on the North Shore of Staten Island. This park was named after Nicholas De Matti. Nicholas De Matti was born and raised on Staten Island, in the Rosebank neighborhood. Once old enough, Nicholas di_matti_playground_1_400De Matti enrolled in the United States Army and became a Private during World War I. He served in the 78th Division of the United States Army and was part of Company K in the 310th Infantry. While serving the country overseas, in France, he died in action on September 26th, 1918.
 
After World War I was over, in 1918, the War Memorial Committee wanted to build a Memorial Arch to honor the soldiers killed during the war. When they were unable to raise enough money, they gave what they did raise to the City of New York. By 1934, the New

2,797 Views, 0 Comments

In 1925, just ten days shy of turning forty-five, Brigadier General Douglas MacArthur, of the United States Army, was promoted to Major General.  This made him the United States Army's youngest two-star major general.  This wasn't macarthur_park_2_400the only honor which made General MacArthur significant, though.  In 1937, he had decided to retire, but was called back to the United States Army in 1941.  It wasn't until 1951 that General Douglas MacArthur retired a second time, after having become a very decorated soldier.

General Douglas MacArthur was such a prominent figure in America's history that over fifty places were named in honor of him.  If you couldn't guess, one of these places is on Staten Island.  This would be MacArthur Park, which is made up of a little

2,365 Views, 0 Comments

dongan_playground_1_400Located in the neighborhood of Dongan Hills is the Dongan Playground. It is bounded by streets on three sides and a school on the fourth side. The three streets that border the park are Buel Avenue, Mason Avenue, and Dongan Hills Avenue. The school that is located next to the park is Public School 52.

Dongan Playground became part of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in 1968. When it first opened it was known as P.S. 52 Playground, for the school located next to it. In 1986, the name of the park changed to Mason Playground, for one of the bordering streets. In 1997, the name of the park changed to what it is known as today, Dongan Playground.dongan_playground_2_400

The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation Commissioner renamed the park Dongan

1,276 Views, 0 Comments