Many houses are solely vernacular in architectural style. Four of these, which were built between the last half of the nineteenth century and the first quarter of the twentieth century, are located within the St. George/New Brighton Historic District. The first home to be built in the District using local resources was erected between 1853 and 1874. It is uncertain whether this home, which is located at 17 Carroll Place, was built for Henry P. Robertson, who owned the oldest house in the District, or James Wilkinson, who was part of Crabtree & Wilkinson silk dyeworks.
The next three Vernacular-style homes were built during the early twentieth-century. In 1902, Norman Young built a home at 226 Hamilton Avenue for George Gregory. It has not been determined who originally owned the last two Vernacular-style houses, or who designed and constructed them. However, the years the houses were built are known. The home at 261A Hamilton Avenue was constructed in 1910, while the home at 230 Hamilton Avenue was constructed between the years of 1917 and 1923.
At the turn of the century, new architectural styles began to evolve-specifically out of older styles. The Craftsman style, which was prominent between 1900 and 1930, arose from the late-nineteenth century Arts & Crafts movement in Britain. Between 1918 and 1919, four houses of this style were constructed at 14, 18, 22, and 26 St. Marks Place. The owner of the houses, who was also the architect, was Peter Larsen. A few years later, between 1921 and 1923, another house was constructed at 270 Richmond Terrace, by William A. Eadie. This house was erected for a Borden Farm Product Company salesman, Charles Schneider.
The next architectural style to emerge with the new century was Art Deco. It lasted from the 1920s until the beginning of World War II. Two commercial establishments were built in this style between 1930 and 1932. Both buildings were designed by architect Samuel Gardstein. The first building to be constructed is at 72-78 Westervelt Avenue. It was constructed for St. George Gardens, Inc. The second building is located at 66-70 Westervelt Avenue. This building was built for the Rosengen Land Company.
By the end of World War II, more contemporary styles of architecture began to develop. In 1987, Frank A. Vaccaro constructed three attached, modern-looking houses at 26, 28, and 30 Carroll Place. The three houses were constructed for Ralph Lucchese and Steve Hantowitz. The houses at 26 and 30 Carroll Place were designed as mirror images of each other. The middle house, located at 28 Carroll Place, sticks out a bit farther than its neighbors. These houses were the last three to be built in the St. George/New Brighton Historic District.