Deere Park, State Island...Not because there's Deer.
Posted by Anthony Licciardello on
When most people in the United States hear the name "Deere", they think of John Deere; and rightly so, as he is arguably the most famous of his family in the country. For those of you who are only aware of his name's current
use as a brand name, John Deere was a blacksmith during the nineteenth century. From Rutland, Vermont, Deere moved to Grand Detour, Illinois in 1836, at the age of thirty-two. The following year, in 1837, John Deere opened a shop which dealt with the production of small tools. That same year, he invented the first successful cast-steel plow.
John Deere would often have people come in to his shop to purchase a plow. It would take some time for them to receive it, though, as he would have to construct it first. Deere soon…
3543 Views, 0 Comments

Clawson Playground is located in the Staten Island neighborhood of Oakwood. It is bordered by streets on just two sides. To the north is Adelaide Avenue and to the east is Clawson Street. Clawson Playground has the facilities of a baseball field, basketball hoops, a play unit, and an open grassy field. This park is connected to and is part of Public School 50's schoolyard.
Barrett Park, which is now known as the Staten Island Zoo, is located in the neighborhood of West Brighton, near Clove Lake and Sunset Hill. It is situated between Clove Road, Broadway, and Glenwood Place.
July of 1902. In 1901, the school reopened at another location on Rossville Avenue. This building was known as Old P.S. 6. In December of 1945, the Board of Education decided that the school building was unfit to be used as an elementary school and was closed. After it was closed, the Marimac Novelty Company used the building as a factory. Finally, after some time, the school reopened for a third time in September of…