Located in the neighborhood of Dongan Hills is the Dongan Playground. It is bounded by streets on three sides and a school on the fourth side. The three streets that border the park are Buel Avenue, Mason Avenue, and Dongan Hills Avenue. The school that is located next to the park is Public School 52.
Dongan Playground became part of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation in 1968. When it first opened it was known as P.S. 52 Playground, for the school located next to it. In 1986, the name of the park changed to Mason Playground, for one of the bordering streets. In 1997, the name of the park changed to what it is known as today, Dongan Playground.
The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation Commissioner renamed the park Dongan Playground after Colonel Thomas Dongan. Colonel Thomas Dongan was the British governor of the province of New York during the late 17th century.
Colonel Thomas Dongan was born in 1634 in Castletown, Ireland. By 1683, the Duke of York sent him to govern the province of New York. Colonel Thomas Dongan is known for creating the first representative assembly for New York and for creating the Charter of Liberties. He returned to Ireland sometime between the late 1680s and the late 1690s.
Dongan Playground is full of many facilities for all ages. Some of these facilities include basketball courts, handball courts, play units, swing sets, and spray showers. There are also water fountains, benches, and tables for your convenience.