Father Macris Park, Staten IslandDuring the middle of the twentieth century, the City of New York began acquiring land for the current Staten Island Expressway.  In 1958, a parcel of a little over thirteen acres of land was acquired in the neighborhood of Bulls Head.  Grass was planted on the parcel, but nothing else was done to the site for decades.  It is bounded to the north by the Staten Island Expressway, to the south by Lamberts Lane, to the west by Fahy Ave., and to the east by a ramp connecting to the Staten Island Expressway.

In 1993, the park was named for the recently deceased Greek Orthodox priest, Revered Spyridon Macris, who had been the pastor of Holy Trinity – St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church.  The park was dedicated as Father Macris Park in May of the following year.  It was the first park in the City of New York to be named for a Greek Orthodox priest.

When Father Macris Park first opened, it included a softball field and a soccer field.  These two facilities were renovated in 1999.  That same year, many other additions were made to the park.  New drainage, fencing, plantings, andStaten Island park in Bulls Head, Father Macris walkways were installed.  Below the softball field is a circular area with a water fountain in the center.  The fountain is topped with a sculpture of dolphins.  The fountain is fenced in and surrounded by many benches, which are shaded by trees.  A flagpole stands near the fountain.  Pets are welcome in the eastern portion of the park, which is a big, grassy area.

Posted by Anthony Licciardello on


Email Send a link to post via Email

Leave A Comment

e.g. yourwebsitename.com
Please note that your email address is kept private upon posting.