In 1892, a school building was erected in Staten Island's neighborhood of Great Kills. The building, which housed students of Public School 8, was given many additions at the turn of the twentieth century and it was designated as the Great Kills School in 1916. The following year, however, it was replaced by an entirely new school building.
Public School 8 is located at 112 Lindenwood Road. Its boundaries include School Street to the northwest, Lindenwood Road to the northeast, and Seely Lane to the southwest. For quite some time, the southeastern boundary for Public School 8 was an empty lot. That changed by the end of the century when the city developed a playground on the empty lot. The name of the school was also changed at that time from the Great Kills School to the Shirlee Solomon School.
When it was first established, the park was known as Public School 8 Playground. It was under the jurisdiction of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation and the New York City Board of Education. By 1998, the playground was home to play equipment and handball courts. By the turn of the twenty-first century, the name of the park was changed to Great Kills Park. At that time, basketball courts were installed in the park. Today, the park is home to three basketball courts and a couple of play units. Closer to Lindenwood Road, there is a water fountain in the shape of a semi-circle, which has a yardarm. Benches line the perimeter of the park while drinking fountains are spread throughout it. For more on homes for sale in the area, contact RealEstateSINY,com.