Landmark Home in Staten Island Historic DistrictBetween 1845 and 1860, Italianate architecture became very popular on Staten Island. During this time, a sextet of altered Italianate houses was built in, what is now the Stapleton Heights Historic District. These are 417 St. Paul's Avenue, which was originally located elsewhere, but moved by John Siemer during the late 1880's; 210-212 St. Paul's Avenue, which has been built with Second Empire modifications for Israel Denyse; 364 St. Paul's Avenue, which had been sold by Albert Ward to maritime pilot John Martino; 168 Cebra Avenue, which had been sold to broker James Wood, also by Albert Ward; 356 St. Paul's Avenue, the home of Sandy Hook pilot Thomas H. Metcalfe, who had also purchased his land from Albert Ward; and 352 St. Paul's Avenue, home of another Sandy Hook pilot, Marshall B. White, who had also purchased his land from Albert Ward.

Other houses built during this time were 298 St. Paul's Avenue, another Picturesque house which had been purchased by James White from Caleb T. Ward, and 396 St. Paul's Avenue, which had started out as a Gothic Revival-style house constructed by Charles F.E. and Bernhardine Sudendorf during the late 1850's, but was significantly altered in the 1880s and early 1900s with Queen Anne and Colonial Revival additions.In 1866, two more Gothic Revival buildings were constructed. These were located at 219 St. Paul's Avenue and 225 St. Paul's Avenue. These two buildings, the St. Paul's Memorial Church and its rectory, respectively, were designed by architect Edward Tuckerman Potter and built in 1866.

During the 1870's, few houses were built in the Stapleton Heights Historic District. During the late 1800's,Blue Colonial Home, Stapleton Heights Mediterranean Revival architecture was introduced to the United States. During the early 1870's, a house at 377 St. Paul's Avenue was built in this architectural style for merchant Dudley Duychinck. A few years later, in 1875, two more houses were constructed, but in the Chalet-style of architecture. These were 21 Marion Avenue, which had been purchased from Albert Ward by Jacob Van Buskirk, and 308 St. Paul's Avenue, whose original owner was Samuel L. Mulford, a partner of Mulford & Wandel, a building supplies and lumber firm located in the neighborhood of Stapleton at the time.

Between the years of 1880 and 1910, the Queen Anne architectural style was very popular in the United States. Over one dozen houses were constructed in this style in the Stapleton Heights Historic District. The first of such was 194 Cebra Avenue, which was constructed for Jacob J. Van Buskirk in 1881. Two years later, two Queen Anne-style houses were constructed at 353 and 355 St. Paul's Avenue for William Hechler, the chief chemist of the Staten Island's George Bechtel Brewing Company. That same year, two more houses were constructed in the same architectural style. These were 367 and 369 St. Paul's Avenue, which were built for former ship builder Captain Michael Conkin and his wife, Betsey. The following year, 184 Cebra Avenue, designed by architect Peter Post, was constructed as a parsonage for the Kingsley Methodist Church.

Posted by Anthony Licciardello on


Email Send a link to post via Email

Leave A Comment

Please note that your email address is kept private upon posting.