Found 28 blog entries tagged as 10301.

Many of Staten Island's prominent families made their homes here during the nineteenth century.  One of these families was the Jones family, most of whose descendants came to New York from Philadelphia.  The most Jones Woods Parkprominent member of this family on Staten Island was Shipley Jones, who was born in the middle of the nineteenth century.  He was born into a wealthy family who created a large estate for him in the current neighborhood of New Brighton.  Originally, the estate was owned by his parents, both of whom died prior to the first years of the twentieth century.  At that time, the estate was passed down to Shipley Jones, who owned it for a number of years before he too passed away.

Shipley Jones graduated from Columbia College in 1869 with a Bachelor of…

5888 Views, 1 Comments

In the late nineteenth century, a school building was constructed in the current neighborhood of New Brighton.  The school, Public School 17, underwent many renovations and additions while it stood.  Almost one century after the Skyline Parkschool was initially built, a schoolyard and tot lot were constructed next to the building, above Arnold Street and to the east of Clyde Place.  Not long after the construction of the schoolyard and tot lot, a fire destroyed the school building and it was replaced by Public School 31, which was constructed further northeast in the neighborhood.  Although the school was no longer in use, maintenance of the tot lot was taken up by the current Cottages Hill Tenant Association, a community group.

The New York City Department of…

1678 Views, 0 Comments

Long before any settlements were established on Staten Island, explorers would visit the island to obtain fresh water from a spring on Staten Island's northeastern shore.  Once people began to settle on Staten Island, this well-known fact led to the naming of a settlement here as Watering Place.  Eventually, the settlement turned into a neighborhood, which came to be known as Tompkinsville.  It was named after a nineteenth-century governor of the State of New York, Daniel D. Tompkins.

In 1916, a seven-foot monument was sculpted by Allen G. Newman and given to the City of New York.  The monument, known as The Hiker, was constructed to honor the soldiers who fought during the Spanish-American War.  For some time, the monument stood in front of Staten…

1160 Views, 0 Comments

In 1933, a little less than two acres of land were acquired by the New York City Board of Education, who was planning 
on constructing a school on the site.  Three years passed and nothing had been done, so the site was transferred to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.  By 1939, a playground had opened on the site.

Mahoney Playground SINY

In 1940, the playground was dedicated to honor Michael J. Mahoney, a member of the United States Marine Corps who 

was killed during the First World War.  Before enlisting in the United States Marine Corps, Mahoney lived on Staten Island in the neighborhood of New Brighton.  At the dedication, Mahoney's eldest brother presented a plaque which was cast in honor of the fallen soldier.

In 1961, the New York City Housing…

1582 Views, 0 Comments

P.S. 35 was established in 1907 in the neighborhood of Stapleton. By the middle of the twentieth century, the school was Terrace Playground, Stapletonmoved to 60 Foote Avenue, in the Grymes Hill neighborhood. Around that time, an adjacent plot of land was acquired by New York City. This less-than-two-acres parcel was transferred to the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, as well as the New York City Board of Education.

In 1953, when the site had opened as a park, it was called P.S. 35 Playground. At that time, the park was given basketball courts, handball courts, play equipment, and shuffleboard areas. A plaque was erected in the park in 1997 to commemorate the opening of the park.

Since P.S. 35 is known as the Clove Valley School, the adjacent playground's name…

2932 Views, 0 Comments

For centuries, ice harvesting had been a big part of the winter season.During the 19th century, the harvesting of Silver Lake's ice was very important.During the remaining seasons, the lake was used for swimming, boating, fishing, and ice skating.The area also held 1897's National Skating Amateur Championship races.Around 1911, refrigerators were made available to the United States, rendering the industry of ice harvesting useless.In 1917, Silver Lake was drained to be used as a reservoir. It was later replaced by underground storage tanks.

Silver Lake Park was Staten Island's first established city park.By the end of the 19th century, the growing population called for a park that could match the attraction of Central and Prospect Parks in Manhattan…

2564 Views, 0 Comments

Liotti-Ikefugi Playground is a small playground located in the neighborhood of Tompkinsville. The entrance of the park is on Winter Avenue between Bismark Avenue and Westervelt Ave.

Bliotti_park_sign_400efore this lot was a playground, New York City used this land as a reservoir from 1909 to 1935. The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation took over this property in 1935 and filled the reservoir with dirt. This created a playing field for the local neighborhood. At this point in time, the park was named after William Winter.

In 1961, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation renamed the park as Liotti-Ikefugi Playground. This park was renamed after Sergeant Carmine Liotti and Private First Class Lloyd Ikefugi. Both of these young men were Staten…

1234 Views, 0 Comments

slides_400One of the parks located inside the neighborhood of St. George is Lieutenant Nicholas Lia Playground. This park is bordered by the streets of Belmont Place, Wall Street, and St. Mark's Place.

Prior to becoming a park, the City had planned for the William T. Davis Park to be built here, along with a new facility for the Institute of Arts and Sciences. The facility for the Institute of Arts and Sciences was an old Victorian home that was willed to them by Emma Stone. When the Institute of Arts and Sciences looked into the building, they decided that it would cost too much to be able to fix up the building, so instead they demolished it in 1960.

By 1969, New York City had purchased this land from the Institute of Arts and Sciences to build a park. It…

3040 Views, 0 Comments

In 1904, a public school was erected on Pleasant Avenue in the area then known as Bogardus Corners-today's Rossville. On June 28, 1939, the two-classroom school, which was known as P.S. 31, was given over to the New York Citydavis_park_final_400 Board of Estimate. However, by August 25 of that same year, the New York City Board of Education reclaimed the site so that it could be used to store furniture. Being too small to store furniture while still operating as a school, the school closed down.  It wasn't until the middle of the twentieth century that a new building was constructed for P.S. 31. This building, however, was located quite far from the original site. Today, it is located at the northern tip of Staten Island, in the neighborhood of St. George.

On January 22,…

2419 Views, 0 Comments

From the beginning of the American Civil War, Major General Richard Delafield was in charge of the defenses at New York Harbor. By 1864, he became the Chief of Engineers of the United States Army, a title he held until his walker_park3_400retirement in 1866.  At the time of his retirement, he resided at his estate on Bard Avenue, which was located in northeastern West Brighton, a community known as Livingston. Major General Richard Delafield passed away on November 5, 1873.

In 1872, one year prior to Major General Richard Delafield's passing, the Staten Island Cricket and Baseball Club was formed. The club had originally made their home at Camp Washington, which was a part of the current St. George neighborhood. In 1874, two years after having been establishing, the…

3268 Views, 0 Comments