Found 38 blog entries tagged as 10309.

If you love nature, you're certain to love Staten Island, as it is filled with many parks and nature preserves.  On the southwestern shore of Staten Island, in the neighborhood of Charleston, you will find the 260-acre Clay Pit Ponds Clay Pitt Pond, Staten IslandState Park Preserve.  This park was the first and only state park preserve to be established in New York City, having been set up in 1976.  In 1980, Clay Pit Ponds State Park Preserve opened to the public.  It is under the jurisdiction of the State of New York Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation.

Prior to its use as a park, the land taken up by Clay Pit Ponds State Park Preserve was mined for clay, hence the park's name.Beginning in the middle of the nineteenth century, brick manufacturer Balthasar…

3416 Views, 0 Comments

Pleasant Plains Plaza, Staten IslandAfter the First World War, many World War One memorials began to be placed all over New York City to commemorate those who fought in the war.  In the early 1920s, residents of the southern portion of Staten Island-then known as the Fifth Ward-raised money to have a sculpture built for their community.  George Thomas Brewster, a resident of Tottenville, sculpted an $8,500 statue based on the Louvre's Winged Victory of Samothrace.

The monument Brewster created showed a woman standing atop a globe, holding above her head a sword and the branch of a palm tree, which was considered a symbol of victory before the Common Era.  Sitting in front of the woman was an eagle with its wings spread.  On each side of the quadrilateral pedestal were four plaques.  The…

2094 Views, 1 Comments

Carlton Park is located on the South Shore of Staten Island, in the neighborhood of Woodrow. This is a small park that is only about two acres in size. It is bounded by streets on three sides, and houses on the last side. The stree
ts that border the park are Carlton Avenue, Foster Road, and Drumgoole Road West.

In the 1900s, this area was known as Little Farms. It was named by Wood Harmon, a real estate development company. At that time, Carlton Avenue was one of the main streets in the community. There is no certainty how this name came about, but it has stuck throughout the years and changes.

From 1928 to 1939, Carlton Park was the site of a public elementary school. The New York City Board of Education relinquished this site as a public school in…

2192 Views, 0 Comments

During the turn of the century, the topic of discussion for many Staten Islanders was over 130 acres of land in the southern portion of the Island.  A debate arose, with one side in favor of building of a shopping center and the other in favor of constructing a school, a park, and less retail.  In 2002, forty-two of the 130 acres were suggested to be used for the shopping center.  By 2005, after having agreed to this, ground was broken by the Blumenfeld Development Group for what would become the Bricktown Centre.

By 2007, the $100 million Bricktown Centre was completed.  That same year, it opened in Staten Island to the still-rural neighborhood of Charleston, at 2700-2900 Veterans Road West.  Within the shopping center are Bed Bath & Beyond, a retail…

9342 Views, 0 Comments

Long Pond Park is one of the lesser-known parks on Staten Island in Richmond Valley. You can probably get away with saying that it is hidden in plain sight. Long Pond Park is quite large, being about one hundred acres in size, but since this long_pond_2_400undeveloped land does not have any arresting entrances, most people do not even know it's designated as parkland.  It has in fact been in possession of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation since the beginning of the twenty-first century. For the most part, Long Pond Park is bounded by the streets of Amboy Road to the north, Hylan Boulevard to the south, Page Avenue to the west, and Richard Avenue to the east. However, there a number of streets interspersed along Page Avenue, which basically jut into…

7479 Views, 0 Comments

Staten Island's history has much to do with the history of France.  In 1685, King Louis XIV revoked the Edict of Nantes, which had, until then, given Protestants basic civil rights amongst their fellow citizens.  Once this edict was revoked, many of these people, Huguenots as they were called, fled to New Netherland.  Here, many resided on what is now Staten Island.  By the early eighteenth century, one of these settlers was a James Sigin, who resided here with his family.  His descendants were to become some of the most prominent Staten Islanders of their time.

By the end oflemoncreek1_400 the century, James Sigin's grandson, James Segoin, purchased a vast amount of land by the waterfront, which had a creek that ran through it.  This Segoin's grandson, Joseph…

2855 Views, 0 Comments

Joel Wolfe, a native of Richmond, Virginia, moved to Staten Island during the early part of the nineteenth century, when Staten Island was also known as Richmond. For about twenty years, he spent his days dealing with the importation of gin and brandy from Holland and France.  Wolfe retired in 1848, which is probably around the time that he removed to Manhattan.  While he resided in Manhattan, he still owned the enormous farm on Staten Island wolf1_400and allowed his servants to live there while they took care of the residence.

In 1857, Wolfe sold a parcel of his land to the State of New York who, by fall of that year, had a Quarantine hospital built on the site. The Quarantine hospital was used for immigrants coming to Staten Island who had acquired yellow…

3902 Views, 0 Comments

parksign_400Bloomingdale Park is located on the South Shore of Staten Island. The park is mainly bordered by Lenevar Avenue, Drumgoole Road West, Ramona Avenue, and Bloomingdale Road. The park is also bisected by Maguire Avenue with a pathway connecting the two ends of the street. In the 1960s, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation obtained the 138 acres of land to protect the area from development. Up until 2003, the park was comprised of only natural woodlands.

In 2003, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation started to renovate approximately 15-acres of the park east of Maguire Ave. They added three sports fields, two basketball courts, a playground area, a comfort station, a bocce ball court, new walking and bike paths, and a dog…

6031 Views, 0 Comments

17 Ft. end unit townhouse is a good as a semi-detached minus the price.

img_1376_400

Hosted By Elizabeth DelPriore, Licenced Sales Associate with RealEstateSINY.com

Sunday, October 2, 2011 from 13-3

Located in the Woodrow section of Staten Island, This super-wide 3 Bedroom town home is quite unique. At 17 feet its a rare breed of this type of real estate. Not to mention it sits on a 27 Square foot lot with both side and back yards.

The home has many great features, including a full finished basement and recently installed pavers in the homes side yard. For listing information on this home wide 3 bedroom townhouse located at 788 Bloomingdale Rd. or if you need a closer look at Woodrow homes for sale on Staten Island, you can follow the corresponding links.

1163 Views, 0 Comments

Seguine Mansion

In 1598, the Edict of Nantes was issued in France by King Henry IV, granting the Protestants, or Huguenots, freedom and civil rights. In 1685, this edict was revoked by King Louis XIV. At this time, he issued the Edict on Flontainbleau, which made Protestantism illegal. As a result, hundreds of thousands of Huguenots fled France to find a new residence. King Louis XIV was the monarch of New France, as well, which consisted of many of the mid-eastern states in North America, as well as much of Canada. Due to this, the Huguenots were banned from settlings there and instead settled in the Dutch New Netherland, which was encompassed by the western states of America.

In 1706, a census was taken of Staten Island's inhabitants. At this time,…

27143 Views, 0 Comments