Before the mid-nineteenth century the neighborhood of Huguenot was originally known as Bloomingview. Huguenot got its name from the many Huguenots, members of the Protestant Reformed Church of France that had moved to the area. The Huguenots were being prosecuted in France for not converting to Catholicism during the mid-to-late seventeenth century, so many of them fled to America.
By 1851, the Huguenots had established and built their first church in Bloomingview, called "The Brown Church" or "The Church of the Huguenots". The church had caught on fire in 1918 and was rebuilt on the site that it sits on now, in 1924. Today, this church is a New York City Landmark and is known as The Reformed Church of Huguenot Park.
By the mid-to-late 1800s,…
2469 Views, 0 Comments