Home on WesterveltFrom 1880 until the turn of the century, the Shingle Style had become increasingly popular.  These houses were influenced by the English Colonial, which were common from the early seventeenth century up until the middle of the nineteenth century.  From 1886 until 1907, one dozen Shingle Style houses were constructed within the St. George/New Brighton Historic District. The first of these houses, built in the first couple of years for the wealthy banker, Anson Phelps Stokes, were located at 48, 52, and 56 St. Marks Place.  Three more houses were built for the same man in 1890 at 7-8, 9-10, and 11 Phelps Place. These houses were designed by architect Douglas Smyth.

Edward A. Sargent, the well-known architect of whom we spoke earlier, designed a few of these houses, as well. For Vernon H. Brown, who was responsible for the American side of the Cunard steamship line, Sargent designed 115 and 119 St. Marks Place. For Henry H. Cammann, a manufacturer of petroleum jelly, Edward A. Sargent designed 125 St. Marks Place. These houses were all constructed between 1889 and 1892.

After 1892, three more houses were constructed in the Shingle Style.  During the early 1890s, Michael Isaacs, a clothing and dry goods merchant, lived above his store on Richmond Terrace.  Between 1894 and 1898, he had two houses constructed for himself at 88 and 90 Westervelt Avenue. The last house in the District to be built in this style was at 222 Hamilton Avenue. It was designed by Peter Veitch for Edward and Julia Sullivan.Curtis High School, Hamilton Ave.

There are also a number of houses that were constructed with the Shingle Style architecture which included elements of another architectural style. The first of these was a house that was built for merchant Albert A. Love, at 100-104 Westervelt Avenue. The house was originally built in 1878, but by 1886, additions were made, giving the house Shingle Style elements and a Neo-Gothic-style storefront.  By 1908, another home was constructed-this time by Thomas C. Perkins for Alice Vanderhoef, the wife of a hat manufacturer.  The house, which is located at 65 Westervelt Avenue, was built in the Shingle Style with Neo-Colonial elements.

From the last quarter of the nineteenth century until the first quarter of the twentieth century, four houses were constructed with Shingle Style architecture, as well as with Queen Anne-style architecture. The first house was built in 1886 at 131 St. Marks Place for cartoonist William A. Rogers.  That same year, the house at 9 Carroll Pl., which had been built in a Vernacular style, was altered to include Queen Anne and Shingle Style elements. Between 1904 and 1907, the second Queen Anne and Shingle Style house were constructed, at 224 Hamilton Avenue. This house was built and owned by architect Peter Veitch.  The last two houStaten Island St. George Historic Districtses to be built in these styles were located at 57 and 59 Westervelt Avenue. Both houses were constructed in 1909 by Thomas C. Perkins for appeal agent George Sanford Parsons.

It was very common to see houses that were built in a Vernacular style, but which had elements of other architectural styles, as well. In 1899, three of these houses were built. Peter Veitch designed each of the houses for builder William A. Eadie. After having erected the houses, Eadie used the houses at 46 and 48 Westervelt Avenue as rental properties. The remaining house, which is located at 50 Westervelt Avenue, is the house in which he resided.

Posted by Anthony Licciardello on


Email Send a link to post via Email

Leave A Comment

e.g. yourwebsitename.com
Please note that your email address is kept private upon posting.