Edward L. Woodruff

Edward Lowery WoodruffEdward Lowery Woodruff had displayed his talent in the construction field.  He had built buildings for the “Staten Island Amusement Company”, a business operated by Wiman in late 1880, offering neighborhood public athletic events, illuminated fountain, and pageants, including the St. George Cricket Grounds, known today as the Staten Island Yankees Stadium.

Woodruff was not born in Staten Island; He was born and raised in Buffalo, New York, on October 8th, 1851.  He was the great-grandson of Aaron Dickenson Woodruff, who was the attorney general of New Jersey for twenty-four years. Woodruff attended Columbia College in Washington D.C and Columbia University in New York. At the start of his career, he was a civil engineer in the United States Lighthouse Service, becoming an award-winning lighthouse designer.

Woodruff was a man of highly artistic taste, perfecting architecture, his success was mentioned on Staten Island Bear testimony. His designs not only displayed his geniuses, but also his creativity, which was shown in the buildings that were constructed by him for the “Staten Island Amusement Company”.

He did not confine himself to only Staten Island; He specialized in construction residence that overlooked the New York bay and country homes for New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Jersey. Two of his early residential developments in New Jersey are still around today: Sea Bright Estates and Rumson Estates. He constructed many attractive dwellings in and around New York.

While working in many locations, he chose to resign a residence on Staten Island due to the many lasting friendships he made during his productive career. Staten Island was a place that benefited in his artistic and social development.

Woodruff was very dedicated his entire time in the details of his structures. Staten Island adapted Woodruff's technique in dyeing, printing, and refinishing dress goods and other textile fabrics that date back in time when the New York Dyeing and Printing Establishment was established in West-New Brighton; a local Factoryville that existed for thirty-six years.

Return to Famous Staten Islanders